CHIP Perinatal Program
If you are pregnant, a Texas resident, you don’t have insurance, and you cannot get Medicaid, you may be able to get perinatal coverage from CHIP. This coverage is for your unborn baby. CHIP Perinatal covers labor, delivery, and your baby’s health and medical services for its first months of life.
Community First Health Plans is the only non-profit, locally owned health plan available in our service area. As a Member of our plan, Community First offers you extra health care benefits called Value-Added Services. These are in addition to those benefits provided by the CHIP Perinatal program.
Community First Value-Added Services For CHIP Perinatal Members
- 24-hour Nurse Advice Line
- Low-cost dental services
- Gift card programs
Click here to view more value-added services*
- Baby car seat or safe sleep play yard
- Prenatal services with up to $120 in gift cards
- Access to Healthy Expectations Maternity Program
- Mommy & Me Baby Shower
- Up to $30 reimbursement for birthing classes or toward pregnancy-related items such as a
- Transportation assistance to medical and behavioral visits, Community First-sponsored events, and health classes
- Healthy lifestyle classes
- Gift program and assistance for Members with diabetes
- Online mental health resources
- Prescription Savings Card approved for use by uninsured family members
- Smart phone with up to 500 minutes, including unlimited texting and 4.5 GB of data
- Home visits for high-risk pregnancy
*Limitations or restrictions may apply. Please call 210-358-6060 for more information.
CHIP Perinatal Benefits
- Up to 20 prenatal visits
- Prescription drug coverage
- The cost of giving birth*
- Two doctor visits for mom after the birth of the baby
- Regular checkups, vaccines, and prescriptions for your baby
*Hospital and other costs related to labor with delivery of the baby. Costs from labor that does not result in a birth and false labor are not covered.
To find out more and to apply, visit www.yourtexasbenefits.com. You can also call 2-1-1.
Access Member Resources, a library of benefits and resources available to you!
Your CHIP Perinatal Member Handbook and our bi-annual Community First Member Newsletters are available to you in print, free of charge, and mailed within 5 days. For your free copy, call 1-800-434-2347 or make a request through your secure Member Portal.
For more information about how your health plan works, please read the CHIP Perinatal Member Handbook and your Evidence of Coverage.