STAR Kids is a Texas Medicaid program that provides Medicaid benefits to children and adults 20 and younger who have disabilities.
Community First Health Plans is the only non-profit, locally owned health plan available in our service area that offers the STAR Kids program.
About STAR Kids
STAR Kids is designed to meet the unique needs of youth and children with disabilities.
Community First Health Plans provides Service Coordination for our STAR Kids Members. Service Coordination helps identify needs and connects Members to services and providers.
Community First Service Coordinators:
- Review each Member’s specific needs.
- Help the family and health plan create a unique individual service plan for each Member.
- Perform the STAR Kids Screening and Assessment (SK-SAI), a standard screening and assessment process health plans use to determine each child’s needs as they relate to health and independent living.
STAR Kids Benefits
- Prescription drugs
- Hospital care
- Primary and specialty care
- Preventive care
- Personal care services
- Private duty nursing
- Durable medical equipment and supplies
STAR Kids Requirements
To qualify for STAR Kids, your child must be 20 or younger, covered by Medicaid, and meet at least one of the following:
- Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Get SSI and Medicare
- Get services through the Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP) waiver.
- Get services through the Youth Empowerment Services (YES) waiver.
- Live in a community-based intermediate care facility for individuals with an intellectual disability or related condition (ICF/IID) or nursing facility.
- Get services through a Medicaid Buy-In program.
- Get services through any of the following Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) intellectual and developmental disability (IDD) waiver programs.
- Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)
- Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD)
- Home and Community-based services
- Texas Home Living (TxHmL)
STAR Kids Value-Added Services
As a STAR Kids Member, Community First offers you both benefits provided by the STAR Kids program and extra health care benefits exclusive to Community First Members called value-added services.
Texas Health Steps
Texas Health Steps is the Medicaid health care program for STAR and STAR Kids children, teens, and young adults, birth through age 20.
Texas Health Steps gives you/your child:
- Free regular medical checkups starting at birth.
- Free dental checkups starting at six months of age.
- A case manager who can find out what services you/your child needs and where to get these services..
Access STAR Kids Member Resources, a library of benefits and resources available to you!
The STAR Kids Member Handbook is available to you in print, free of charge, and mailed within five business days. For your free copy, please call 1-800-434-2347 or make a request through your secure Member Portal.
For more information about how your health plan works, please read the STAR Kids Member Handbook and your Evidence of Coverage.
Download Member Handbook
- Referrals and Prior Authorizations
- Service Area
- Service Coordinator Lookup
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Dual Coverage PCP Selection
- How To File An Appeal
- State Fair Hearing & External Medical Review
- How To File A Complaint
- Referral Process
- Replace a Member ID Card
- Member Advisory Group
- MTM Non-Emergency Medical Transportation
- Children of Traveling Farmworkers (ENG | SPN)