HHSC has updated the alternative device policy notice posted on July 17. In addition to allocating free alternative devices to 7.5% of the program Providers or Financial Management Services Agencies (FMSAs) census (rounded to the nearest whole number), HHSC is allowing the purchase of additional alternative devices for qualifying members.
A qualified member using the agency option, or the service responsibility option (SRO), is an individual:
- who does not have a landline or does not allow the service provider to use their landline; and
- whose service provider does not have a smartphone or tablet.
A qualified member using the consumer-directed service (CDS) option is an individual:
- who does not have a landline or does not allow the service provider to use their landline;
- whose service provider does not have a smartphone or tablet; and
- who does not allow the CDS employee to use their smartphone or tablet.
The cost of each alternative device is $12 (includes shipping) plus applicable sales tax.
How to Request a Free Alternative Device
Program providers and FMSAs, if not already completed, are required to submit the Provider Onboarding Form prior to submitting the Alternative Device Ordering Form.
HHSC has supplied HHAeXchange the census numbers that will be used for distribution. If a program provider or FMSA has a shortage, and a request for an alternative device is pending, then HHAeXchange will fulfill the additional alternative device requests to maintain the 7.5% threshold.
Once forms are submitted, HHAeXchange will process the request within 5 business days.
- Orders placed before September 1 will be delivered mid-September.
- Orders placed September 1 through September 30 will be delivered no later than October 15.
How to Purchase Additional Alternative Devices?
Program providers and FMSAs may purchase additional alternative devices for qualifying members. The cost of each alternative device is $12 (includes shipping) plus applicable sales tax.
Program providers and FMSAs must complete and submit the HHAeXchange Paid Alternative Device Order Form.
If there is available inventory, HHAeXchange will ship the ordered alternative device(s) within five business days. If there is not enough inventory, HHAeXchange will notify the program provider or FMSA that a back order has been placed and to expect their alternative device(s) as soon as they become available.
This policy applies to program providers and FMSAs, who will use the new State EVV vendor, HHAeXchange.
Next steps for Providers:
Providers should share this communication with their staff.
Community First Resources:
Email ProviderRelations@cfhp.com or call 210-358-6294.